- Ferrari said it will restart full production at its facilities in Maranello and Modena, Italy, on Friday, May 8.
- Its facilities were shut down on March 14, and the automaker said this was the longest closure in the company’s 73-year history.
- As the company ramps up production this week, all 4000 employees are being tested for coronavirus antibodies.
Ferrari has started a gradual ramp-up back to full production in Italy after several weeks of shutdown for the coronavirus pandemic. The Italian government is allowing companies to resume operations as of Monday, May 4, if they follow health precautions. So, in line with those requirements, the automaker has put stringent safety measures into effect and has been training workers in the new procedures this week before going back to full production on Friday, May 8. Workers are going through a safety training program Ferrari has named “Back on Track.”
Between late April and that full restart date, the automaker has also started giving all of its 4000 workers a blood test checking for the presence of antibodies to the coronavirus, on a voluntary basis. So far, as the Wall Street Journal reported late last week, less than 1 percent of the 2000 workers already tested have come back testing positive for antibodies, which could mean (depending on how effective the tests turn out to be) that they have not had the virus.
The Ferrari factory restarted production with the SP2 Monza (pictured above), and will add other models later.